This was the first concept I presented to Paul and Gary.
We definitely needed more beasties.
I created the sky with spray paint. I masked out most
of the image with tape and newspaper, and left only the
area that I wanted to be the sky.
The landscape was drawn using chalk pastels. I masked
out most of the areas I wanted to keep clean.
Here is a view of the landscape once the newspaper was
I typeset the "Welcome To" sign on the computer and transfered it onto the illustration
board in the proper location.
I sketched out the characters using chalk pastel,
and I used acrylic paint to create the trees. I completed
the sign using a combination of watercolor and marker.
More character development, added the road.
More character development (notice the lion and the wolf
on the left are complete).
This is just to show the level of detail in the characters.
Again, showing the detail in the characters.
cover, version 1. I submitted this to Gary and Paul,
and they offered their feedback on what should be changed.
The two most noticeable changes were to add more detail
in the foreground grass, and to add a graveyard in the
Final cover! The
color is more vibrant in this version because I had
a professional photographer shoot it (rather than shooting